Patient Education Information for: DAKLINZA® (daclatasvir)
What is DAKLINZA®?
- It is a prescription medication that is used to treat patients with hepatitis C.
- It is approved for use in patients with genotype 3 hepatitis C in combination with sofosbuvir.
How does DAKLINZA® work to fight the hepatitis C virus?
- This drug helps prevent the virus from replicating.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE taking DAKLINZA®?
- If you are taking other drugs used to treat hepatitis C.
- If you are taking carbamazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, or St. John’s wort, as these can interact with DAKLINZA®.
- If you have a history of heart disease and are taking amiodarone.
- **Tell your doctor about ALL of the drugs you are taking including prescription, over-the-counter medications, natural products, and vitamins to make sure it is safe to take with DAKLINZA®. In some cases, you may need an adjusted dose of DAKLINZA®.
- **Tell your about all your health problems including a history a liver problems, severe kidney problems, if you are on dialysis, are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, or if you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed.
How is this drug best taken?
- You can take this drug with or without food.
- Avoid missing doses to gain the most benefit from this drug to cure your hepatitis C infection.
- This drug must be taken with sofosbuvir for effective treatment of your hepatitis C.
What are the possible side effects of taking this drug?
- The most common side effects include headache, feeling tired or weak, and upset stomach.
- If you are also taking amiodarone and feel dizzy, light-headed, weak, shortness of breath, chest pain, or confusion, contact your doctor immediately.
- Notify your doctor if you experience these side effects and they bother you and do not go away.
- These are not all the possible side effects of this drug. If you have further questions about side effects, call your doctor.
How should I store DAKLINZA®?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in the bathroom.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you miss a dose, take the dose as soon as you remember but do not take two doses in the same day.
- Do not take extra doses or 2 doses at the same time of this medication.
All of the above information was adapted from the Bristol-Myers Squibb package insert for DAKLINZA ®.