Patient Education Information for: OLYSIO® (simeprevir) capsules
What is OLYSIO®?
- It is a prescription medication that is used to treat patients with hepatitis C.
- It is used in patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C [ in conjunction with Sovaldi].
- The active ingredient in OLYSIO® is simeprevir.
How does OLYSIO® work to fight the hepatitis C virus?
- This drug helps prevent the virus from replicating.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE taking OLYSIO®?
- If you are taking any of these drugs because they may also interact with OLYSIO®: carbamazepine, cimetidine, cobicistat, diltiazem, grapefruit juice, oxcarbazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifabutin, rifampin, rifapentine, rosuvastatin, simeprevir, St. John’s wort, or tipranavir/ritonavir, verapamil
- **Tell your doctor about all of the drugs you are taking including prescription, over-the-counter medications, natural products, and vitamins to make sure it is safe to take with OLYSIO®
- **Tell your about all your health problems including a history a liver problems, severe kidney problems, if you are on dialysis, are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, or if you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed.
How is this drug best taken?
- Take this drug with food and do not open, chew, or crush the capsules.
- Take this drug at the same time every day.
- Avoid missing doses to gain the most benefit from this drug to cure your hepatitis C infection.
What are the possible side effects of taking this drug?
- The most common side effects include upset stomach, itching, and muscle pain.
- You may get sunburned more easily: use sunscreen and wear clothing to protect you from the sun
- Notify your doctor if you experience these side effects and they bother you and do not go away.
- These are not all the possible side effects of this drug. If you have further questions about side effects, call your doctor.
How should I store OLYSIO®?
- Store at room temperature and avoid leaving medication in an extreme hot or cold environment.
- Keep OLYSIO® in its original container – do not place in pillboxes.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in the bathroom.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If less than 12 hours since your scheduled dose: take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
- If more than 12 hours since the missed dose, skip the dose and go back to your normal schedule.
- Do not take extra doses or 2 doses at the same time.
All of the above information was adapted from the JANSSEN package insert for OLYSIO®.