Patient Education Information for: SOVALDI® (sofosbuvir) tablets
What is SOVALDI®?
- It is a prescription medication that is used to treat patients with hepatitis C.
- It is used in patients with several different genotypes of hepatitis C.
- The active ingredient in SOVALDI® is sofosbuvir.
How does SOVALDI® work to fight the hepatitis C virus?
- This drug helps prevent the virus from replicating.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE taking SOVALDI®?
- If you are taking another drug that has sofosbuvir in it
- If you are taking tenofovir as part of your HIV treatment, as this medication may interact with SOVALDI®
- If you are taking any of these drugs because they may also interact with SOVALDI®: Carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifabutin, rifampin, rifapentine, St. John’s wort, or tipranavir/ritonavir.
- **Tell your doctor about all of the drugs you are taking including prescription, over-the-counter medications, natural products, and vitamins to make sure it is safe to take with SOVALDI®
- **Tell your about all your health problems including a history a liver problems, severe kidney problems, if you are on dialysis, are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, or if you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed.
How is this drug best taken?
- You can take this drug with or without food.
- Avoid missing doses to gain the most benefit from this drug to cure your hepatitis C infection.
What are the possible side effects of taking this drug?
- The most common side effects include tiredness, headaches, upset stomach, itching, or not able to sleep.
- Notify your doctor if you experience these side effects and they bother you and do not go away.
- These are not all the possible side effects of this drug. If you have further questions about side effects, call your doctor.
How should I store SOVALDI®?
- Store at room temperature and avoid leaving medication in an extreme hot or cold environment.
- Keep SOVALDI® in its original container – do not place in pillboxes.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in the bathroom.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you miss a dose, take the dose as soon as you remember but do not take two doses in the same day.
- Do not take extra doses or 2 doses at the same time.
All of the above information was adapted from the GILEAD package insert for SOVALDI®.