Patient Education Information for: HARVONI® (ledipasvir and sofosbuvir) tablets
What is HARVONI®?
- It is a prescription medication that is used to treat patients with hepatitis C.
- It is used in patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C.
- There are two active ingredients in HARVONI®: ledipasvir and sofosbuvir.
How does HARVONI® work to fight the hepatitis C virus?
- Both components of this drug help prevent the virus from replicating.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE taking HARVONI®?
- If you are taking another drug that has sofosbuvir in it
- If you are taking elvitegravir, covivistat, emtricitabine, and tenofovir (STRIBILD®) as this combination medication may interact with HARVONI®
- If you are taking any of these drugs because they may also interact with HARVONI®: Carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifabutin, rifampin, rifapentine, rosuvastatin, simeprevir, St. John’s Wort, or tipranavir/ritonavir.
- **Tell your doctor about all of the drugs you are taking including prescription, over-the-counter medications, natural products, and vitamins to make sure it is safe to take with HARVONI®
- **Tell your about all your health problems including a history a liver problems, severe kidney problems, if you are on dialysis, are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, or if you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed.
How is this drug best taken?
- You can take this drug with or without food.
- Do not take an antacid that has aluminum or magnesium in it within 4 hours of this drug
- Avoid missing doses to gain the most benefit from this drug to cure your hepatitis C infection.
What are the possible side effects of taking this drug?
- The most common side effects include tiredness and headaches.
- Notify your doctor if you experience these side effects and they bother you and do not go away.
- These are not all the possible side effects of this drug. If you have further questions about side effects, call your doctor.
How should I store HARVONI®?
- Store at room temperature and avoid leaving medication in an extreme hot or cold environment.
- Keep HARVONI® in its original container – do not place in pillboxes.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in the bathroom.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you miss a dose, take the dose as soon as you remember but do not take two doses in the same day.
- Do not take extra doses or 2 doses at the same time of this medication.
All of the above information was adapted from the GILEAD package insert for HARVONI®.