Patient Education Information for: VIEKIRA PAK® (Ombitasvir, Paritaprevir, Ritonavir, and Dasabuvir) tablets
What is VIEKIRA PAK®?
- It is a prescription medication that is used to treat patients with hepatitis C, genotype 1.
- There are two tablets in the combination package: one tablet with the active ingredients ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir and a second tablet with the active ingredient dasabuvir.
How does VIEKIRA PAK® work to fight the hepatitis C virus?
- It contains three direct acting agents to fight the hepatitis C virus and prevent the virus from replicating.
- Ritonavir increases the amount of paritaprevir available in the blood that helps to fight the hepatitis C virus.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE taking VIEKIRA PAK®?
- If you have liver disease.
- If you are taking a birth control pill which contains ethinyl estradiol.
- If you are taking any of these drugs because they may also interact with VIEKIRA PAK®: Alfuzosin, carbamazepine, dihydroergotamine, efavirenz, ergonovine, ergotamine, gemfibrozil, lovastatin, methylergonovine, oral midazolam, phenobarbital, phenytoin, pimozide, rifampin, simvastatin, St. John’s wort, or triazolam.
- **Tell your doctor about all of the drugs you are taking including prescription, over-the-counter medications, natural products, and vitamins to make sure it is safe to take with VIEKIRA PAK®
- **Tell your doctor about all your health problems including a history a liver problems, severe kidney problems, if you are on dialysis, are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, or if you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed.
How is this drug best taken?
- Take tablets with a meal.
- Take two ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir tablets once daily in the morning and one dasabuvir tablet twice daily in the morning and evening.
- Avoid missing doses to gain the most benefit from this drug to cure your hepatitis C infection.
What are the possible side effects of taking this drug?
- The most common side effects include tiredness, upset stomach, and itching.
- Notify your doctor if you experience these side effects and they bother you and do not go away.
- These are not all the possible side effects of this drug. If you have further questions about side effects, call your doctor.
How should I store VIEKIRA PAK®?
- Store in a dry place at room temperature. Do not store in the bathroom.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- The ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir tablet: If more than 12 hours since your missed dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- The dasabuvir tablet: If more than 6 hours since your missed dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take extra doses or 2 doses at the same time or extra doses of this medication.
All of the above information was adapted from the AbbVie package insert for VIEKIRA PAK®.