Patient Education Information for: TECHNIVIE® (ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir)
What is TECHNIVIE ®?
- It is a fixed-dose combination tablet that is used to treat patients with hepatitis C, genotype 4.
- There are three medications in each TECHNIVIE® tablet: ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir.
How does TECHNIVIE ® work to fight the hepatitis C virus?
- It contains two direct acting agents to fight the hepatitis C virus and prevent the virus from replicating.
- Ritonavir increases the amount of paritaprevir available in the blood to help fight the hepatitis C virus.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE taking TECHNIVIE ®?
- If you have severe liver disease.
- If you are taking birth control pills which contain ethinyl estradiol.
- If you are taking any of these drugs because they may also interact with TECHNIVIE®: sildenafil, Alfuzosin, carbamazepine, dihydroergotamine, efavirenz, ergonovine, ergotamine, gemfibrozil, lovastatin, methylergonovine, oral midazolam, phenobarbital, phenytoin, pimozide, rifampin, simvastatin, St. John’s wort, triazolam, atazanavir, lopinavir/ritonavir, rilpivirine, or salmeterol.
- **Tell your doctor about all of the drugs you are taking including prescription, over-the-counter medications, natural products, and vitamins to make sure it is safe to take with TECHNIVIE®
- **Tell your about all your health problems including a history a liver problems, severe kidney problems, if you are on dialysis, are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, or if you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed.
How is this drug best taken?
- Take this drug with a meal.
- Avoid missing doses to gain the most benefit from this drug to cure your hepatitis C infection.
What are the possible side effects of taking this drug?
- The most common side effects include headache, feeling tired or weak, upset stomach, and difficulty sleeping.
- Contact you doctor right away, if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes
- Notify your doctor if you experience these side effects and they bother you and do not go away.
- These are not all the possible side effects of this drug. If you have further questions about side effects, call your doctor.
How should I store TECHNIVIE ®?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in the bathroom.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you miss a dose, take the dose as soon as you remember but do not take two doses in the same day.
- Do not take extra doses or 2 doses at the same time of this medication.
All of the above information was adapted from the AbbVie Inc. package insert for TECHNIVIE ®.